There are a few universally accepted truths that we must all cling to in the neverending debate over what to eat and what not to eat. Though they are a rare few, certain foods are irrefutably proven to be good for weight loss and your health in general. One of these weight-loss-friendly foods is avocado.
This fruit (yes, avocado is technically a fruit) has become a staple of the American diet, thanks in no small part to a strong PR campaign from Big Avocado. The truth is, though, that avocados are among the healthiest, most nutrient-rich foods on the planet. This makes avocados an easy choice for those who want to add guilt-free flavor to their diets.
What Makes Avocado an Asset for Those Looking to Shed Pounds?
There is not just one reason to make avocados a fixture in your meal rotation, especially if you’re focused on losing weight—there are many reasons. Healthline notes that you might gravitate towards avocados because:
- They’re nutrient-rich: Avocados provide a dense concentration of essential vitamins (C, E, and K), nutrients, healthy fats, and fiber that promote healthy bodily function. Importantly, many of the nutritional benefits that avocados provide are difficult to find in other foods that compose the typical American diet.
- Your gut likes them: Gut health can cause or exacerbate depression, anxiety, sluggishness, and countless other debilitating ailments. Conversely, good gut health can be your greatest ally as you work to lose weight. The fact that avocado is rich in fiber (which promotes regular bowel movements) and “good” bacteria that promote a healthy gut microbiome is a big deal.
- They’re heart-healthy: About 659,000 people in America die from heart disease each year, or about one in every four deaths. Foods like avocado, which may help your overall cardiovascular function through its nutritional benefits, may help extend your life. Health is wealth, which means that a bag of avocados is an absolute bargain.
It is no secret that optimal bodily function, for most, leads to weight loss. Because of their nutrient-dense nature, avocados fill you up quickly while packing a Mike Tyson-level nutritional punch. For those trying to shed pounds, this bang-for-your-bite is tough to match.
Avocados are also part and parcel of American agriculture. California, in particular, has a rich history, and large foothold, in avocado production. If you care about that sort of thing, you can support American agriculture by buying California-grown avocados—one of the many perks that these nourishing fruits provide.
The Avocado Renaissance Has Provided a Surplus of Innovative Recipes and Pairings
When you pick up a bundle of fresh Hass or Maluma avocados from the store, you might do so with a specific purpose in mind. Guacamole and avocado toast are two of the most popular iterations of avocado-centric cuisine but are far from the only ones.
You might also consider:
- Avocado omelets
- Avocado dips (with healthy chips or other chip substitutes)
- Avocado-based spring rolls
- Avocado-based salads
Few foods are as versatile as avocado, and you should never get bored with the vast number of avocado-based recipes you’ll find out there.
Consider Other Dietary Supplements Like Probiotics
In addition to adding foods like avocados to your diet, consider achieving better gut health through probiotics. Do your research (articles like this can help), speak with a nutritionist, and find out how probiotics can complement dietary and lifestyle changes to help you reach your health goals.
For more information about what to eat when trying to lose weight, read Gut to Know’s resource What to Eat for Weight Loss.