My name is Dr. Lisa Stern – I’ve worked in pediatrics for over 30 years, helping parents and their kids understand the importance of the gut biome, and why there is such a disconnect between gut health and our western diets. I’ve worked together with the Jetson team to formulate Jettie Melty Stix, a sugar-free, all natural, pre and probiotic powder to help encourage microbiome diversity during the most developmental stages of life. I’m going to give you the ins and outs of gut health in children, and why Jettie can make such an impact on a developing child’s gut microbiome.
Why is gut health a big deal?
A healthy, diverse microbiome doesn’t just appear in your child’s gut – it starts developing the day they’re born. Whether it’s through diet, exposure to bacteria (at the playground or off the kitchen table), and even the birth canal, these good and bad bacteria will begin colonizing your child’s gut during the most pivotal times in their development. This beneficial bacteria in a child’s gut has been linked to considerable health benefits, like: stronger immunity, neurocognitive development and emotional development. Unfortunately, research also suggests that not enough beneficial bacteria may lead to autoimmune and inflammatory diseases (such as asthma and eczema), poor digestion and obesity. Studies have also shown that the health of a child’s gut can play a role in the development of neurocognitive conditions like ADHD. I mean, there’s a reason researchers call the gut “the second brain.”
Why I recommend probiotics
I like to consider myself an expert in pediatric nutrition and I know a thing or two about the role whole foods play in children’s development. As someone who has raised children to young adulthood, I know that’s easier said than done. Unfortunately, our western diet prioritizes processed, sugary foods over fresh, seasonal ingredients that provide the variety of bacteria their developing guts need. I understand where kids are coming from when they complain about vegetables… we’ve all tasted a gummy bear.
That’s why probiotics are great: they guarantee the gut keeps growing even when their diet may not be as fruitful as we want. Certain types of bacteria included in probiotics can help prevent diarrhea in children who are on antibiotics, ease eczema and allergies, aid in digestion, and relieve constipation. Probiotics can also help avoid respiratory problems, and increase vitamin production.
But not all probiotics are created equal. I’ve outlined above why I believe probiotics are so crucial to children’s development. Unfortunately, there are a lot of subpar probiotics out there – they either have too much sugar or lack strains with true clinical trials.
Jettie Melty Stix has been such a labor of love for me because I got to create the ideal probiotic for my patients with a brand and team I really believe in.
Why I recommend Jettie Melty Stix
Every child deserves the highest quality probiotic during childhood, a time of growth and change unparalleled in our lives. Here’s why Jettie does the job:
- Species and strain diversity: Jettie’s pre and probiotic strains improve the gut diversity that has been in a steady decline for decades. When it comes to probiotic strains, Jettie also includes spore and non-spore varieties, meaning your child will be exposed to two different species of probiotics… which is near impossible to find in a single probiotic supplement, but it’s how you can get the most benefit.
- It’s a prebiotic, too: not only does Jettie take the cake in probiotic strain variety, but I also love it because its prebiotic fiber doesn’t cause gas or bloating like other prebiotics I’ve tried.
- We only use studied strains: no, not all probiotic brands can say the same. Check out the numbers next to the strains on our label – those mean that each strain has been studied for the benefits we claim.
- We included vitamin D: which you can thank for stronger immunity and bone development.
- It’s temper-tantrum free: If you try one, you’ll see why. Pour it right on the tongue or mix it in a drink and I dare you to tell me you’re not eating an ice cold orange creamsicle.
- There’s no sugar, obviously: Melty Stix aren’t a one way ticket to the dentist like other tasty vitamins. That cult favorite gummy vitamin has the equivalent of a liter of coke in one month’s serving…. Yikes.
For all these reasons combined, when parents come into my office and no doubt ask me how I think they can keep their children’s lifelong health at top of mind, I recommend Jettie. Although, from one pediatrician to another, always check with your doctor before changing your child’s routine.
Ready to try Jettie?